*Note from J.Smo: I use my blog to feature other independent Hip Hop from around the planet including a sub-category focused only on music from Sacramento, California and surrounding areas. If you remember the SactownHipHop.com website, all the content from that blog has been moved to this domain so I can spend less time sorting through submission emails and more time staying focused on engaging and networking with the worldwide independent Hip Hop community.
BUNKS is a hip hop group from Manchester, Tennessee that began making music in 1999.
BUNKS is a philosophy: Bringing Unmatched Noise Knowledge and Sound.
Joshua and Joshua, aka J.Smo and J.Gro, first met in Hillsboro, TN when the powers that control the universe threw them into the same 5th grade class. After many years of mischief, adolescence, and great as well as not-so-great experiences, the duo began releasing music in 1999 under their own imprint, BUNKS Muzak! which later transitioned into BUNKS Multimedia when they began working with other artists in the Middle Tennessee music community.
J.Smo is currently in Sacramento, California working on new projects as well as working with Unlimited Sounds Publishing & Distribution, LLC. The duo continues making music thanks to the wonders of technology. Both have solo projects in the works.
We follow our own path, stay true to our vision, and share all we can with those who ride with us. We are artists navigating our way through the music industry, not artists made by the industry. We vow to stay true to ourselves and never to compromise our values. We vow to stay independent and to work towards improving and expanding the music scene and music industry in our community in order to provide more opportunities for our people.
- J.Smo opened for Sage Francis at Harlow’s in Sacramento with Mr. P Chill, January 2015.
- J.Smo Interviewed Masta Ace and Zoolay after their show in Sacramento, December 2013.
- Toured the US twice since 2013 expanding the BUNKS’ brand beyond Mid-TN.
- We actively blog at Middle Tennessee Music and Sactown Hip Hop.
- We placed 3rd in Murfreesboro Daily News Journal’s Battle of the Bands 2009.
- Probably the only Hip Hop group to ever appear on WMSR in Manchester, TN.
- Boropulse.com artist spotlight alongside NIMA album of the year winners, Streetlight Allstars.
“BUNKS puts a magnifying glass over the overlooked.” –Holly Strickland, Indiemunity.com
“When a group is able to create something that is bigger than themselves it gives them lasting power and the ability to stick together through the ups and downs of a music career.” –Keith Profeta, IndieBandGuru.com
“Amidst the flashy dashy, bling bling materialist, candy coated I wanna be a thug hip hop, the BUNKS’ call to action couldn’t come at a better time. The hard hitting and crowd moving “Generica,” is a subtle lyrical tirade of hip-hop awareness. Laced with fiery socially conscious messages, banging bass lines, and revolutionary themes, the album is almost enough to single-handedly kill off closed-minded elitist cultures.” –Rick Jamm, Jamsphere.com
- The Power Of Old School: J.Smo Releases ‘Banks Of Savannah X Endurance’ via PopWrapped.com
- Forsaken Veteran of the Drug Wars – Folk/Rap Fusion With A Message via IndieBandGuru.com
- Interview with J.Smo on Riot’s Modern Life Podcast
- Exclusive Interview with Author, Musician & Music Marketer via Independent Music Promotions
- Interview on Social Media for Musicians via Reputation.com
- Are You Guilty? Four Ways Indie Musicians Are Killing Social Media via CyberPR
- The Big Business of Fake Fans via LA Weekly
- BUNKS, This is More Than Impressive Hip Hop – This Is A Movement via IndieBandGuru.com
- Generica by BUNKS via Coyote Music
- It’s One Amazing BUNKSperience! via Indiemunity.com
- The BUNKS: “Generica,” A Subtle Lyrical Tirade Of HipHop Awareness via Jamsphere.com
- Interview with J.Smo on TDB Pirate Radio via Timothy Dean Blog
- Generica by BUNKS – Album Review via Murfreesboro Pulse
- NeuFutur Magazine Introduces BUNKS
Also featured on:
Out of the rough, comes this polished diamond of a group. BUNKS has brought a new sound; one that needs to be heard by all those who love music that makes you move… What was most surprising to me; for one of the first times; I wanted to listen to the words and not just the beat. Each song was a new experience and I have noticed the range these guys’ posses. It is a force to be reckoned with. J. Gro & J. Smo have unique, distinct voices that just work. The flow of the songs has been selected perfectly. A perfect duo that is in it to win! This has just become my new favorite CD, and I’m sure it will be yours too. –Shexy, music lover
Unlike most commercial rap music and its profanity-laden jabbering about thug life and violence, this record is actually relatable for a Tennessee hillbilly, with songs about crusin’ around the Tennessee backroads, improving American society and the struggles and joys of being a parent… The artists touch on consumerism, chemical dependency, obesity, materialism and other social observations multiple times, and the themes tie the record together and let us know these guys are about more than making cool beats… Also the album’s very inspirational for an expecting father to hear. –Bracken Mayo, Murfreesboro Pulse